Thursday, September 10, 2009

Puppini Sisters vs. Barry Manilow

I discovered The Puppini Sisters in much the same way I discover all of my new music -- through Pandora internet radio. You can think of them as a modern-day Andrews Sisters from which they styled their name (Marcella Puppini is in the group, but the other two women are not related to her). Their debut single was Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy in 2006, a remake of the hit by The Andrew Sisters in 1941.

Their Rise and Fall of Ruby Woo album contains several covers and standards but there was one in particular that sounded familiar but I couldn't quite place it. It turned out to be Could It Be Magic by Barry Manilow. I found this video on YouTube and it's kind of crappy quality but the performance is wonderful. I was also impressed that they actually play instruments!

The Puppini Sisters are working on their third album, reportedly of all original songs. They recently performed at the Glastonbury Festival on June 27, 2009.

No comments: