Friday, February 22, 2008

Controlling The Unruly Crowd (i.e. You 'n Me)

"Make them happy...and thus docile."

This 4-part BBC series is one of the most fascinating documentaries I've ever watched. If you think that you are an independent thinker, and are above the manipulations of advertisers, you will have to think again.

Having worked in marketing most of my career, I always felt somewhat slimy about my work. I longed to find work that was worthwhile somehow. Work that actually helped other human beings. I never suffered from the delusion that what I did was honorable or noble in some way. I just needed the money. Period.

But, I soldiered on...collecting my paycheck...knowing that if I figured out a way to connect my product with some deep-seated desire lurking in the hearts, minds and souls of my "target market" (read bullseye on the chest), then I could make the product a success.

Pop some popcorn and make an appointment with yourself to watch this series. I guarantee that you will be fascinated too.

The Century Of The Self - By Adam Curtis
"This series is about how those in power have used Freud's theories to try and control the dangerous crowd in an age of mass democracy." - Adam Curtis

Part 1 of 4: Happiness Machines


Part 2 of 4: The Engineering of Consent


Part 3 of 4: There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads: He Must Be Destroyed


Part 4 of 4: Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering


TechnoratiTechnorati: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Tony said...

This is an awesome series and I took the time to watch the whole thing this last weekend. It is something everyone should see to understand just how we are all manipulated by the media to "want" certain things... the things THEY want us to want... and all in hopes of making us happy and pacifist. Interesting stuff, OMyWord! Thank you for sharing it with us.

E said...

I promise I will end up watching these. I'm going to rip them so that I can watch at my leisure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...